For your amusement, my first support unit, a company of 120MM mortars ready to lob hot steel onto the heads of the Hitlerite invaders! In Flames of War terms, 130 points for 6 tubes (Red Bear), + 20 points for observers and trucks. AT 3, FP 3+, range: 56".
I've decided to dig the battery in, making for a more interesting visual. The process wasn't hard, build the timber frame and pile up the gravel in front of it layer by layer.
The gun crews I patterned on the early-mid war
uniforms, using Polly S dust as a base, highlighted with Polly-S mud. Fielding a Soviet army on a budget, these will work for early and mid-war armies, and will pass for later-war as well. The mortar tubes were primed in Krylon camo-green, black-washed with painters oils, then highlighted with German panzer olive.
For the timber-cribbing I used stir-sticks from a local coffee shop. I split them width-wise into three, and tore them into the lengths I needed. After super-gluing them into place, I coated them with a GW wood brown, then black-washed them in the joints, recesses, and seams to give it a more aged look.
I'm still not quite satisfied with the soil effects, and will be experimenting with finer grain materials, colors, etc. Still, they should catch a few eyes on the table.
I look forward to ranging in with them, and putting some poor infantry platoon out of my misery!